SIGHTS IN TASHKENT
Hazrati-Imam Square is located in the historical part of the city. Baraq-Khan Madrasah, Tilla-Shaykh Mosque, the Mausoleum of famous Islamic scholar Abu Bakr Qaffal Shashi and Imam al-Bukhari Islamic Institute ate located here. The Tashkent Television Tower is a 375 meters high. It is the 11th tallest tower in the world. The new blue-domed Oliy Maijlus is the home of Uzbekistan's parliament. Also worth a look are the Assumption Cathedral, Tashkent's main Orthodox church; and German Protestant Church.
Old Town of Tashkent (near Chorsu Market) is located around the Chorsu bazaar and Hotel Cjrus. It is a large neighborhood of tradition Uzbek mud-brick, courtyard horses, with some mosques and Madrasahs Here and nd the there. The oldest buildings date back to the 15th century. Near the bazaar are some of Tashkent’s main tourist sights: Kukeldash Madrasah, Khast Imam complex and Jami Mosque. Nearest Metro Station: Chorsu Metro Station
On April 25, 1966, a devastating earthquake leveled much of the old city and left 300,000 homeless. Most of what you see today in Tashkent has been built after the earthquake. The 14 other republics of the USSR were each given a section of Tashkent to rebuild; and the dispersed and fragmented layout of the city today reflects this. Remnants of the old city can be found in the neighborhoods northwest of city center. Elsewhere, the architecture can be categorized as neo-Soviet.
Amir Timur Maydoni (central Tashkent) honors Uzbekistan's favorite son. It’s a large park and square with a statue of Tamerlane situated where a Lenin statue once stood. Tashkent’s main streets radiate out from Amir Timur maydoni, According to Lonely Planet: The park was “desecrated by ex-President Karimov without warning in 2010 as part of his grand plan to ‘beautify’ the city. The dozens of century-old chinar (plane) trees that provided shade for the legions of chess players and strollers who once populated the park were all cut down. With the chess players now gone, the statue of Timur on horseback in the middle of the square cuts a lonely figure. A glance under the statue reveals that the stallion has been divested of a certain reproductive appendage. Just who stole it is one of Tashkent’s great mysteries. Fortunately the horse’s formidable family jewels remain intact. Nobody is quite sure why Karimov cut down the chinar trees but conventional wisdom holds that he wanted to allow unobstructed views of the new, preposterously large Dom Forum. It’s usually closed but occasionally hosts state-sponsored events for honoured guests. You may recognise the tigers on the facade from the Sher Dor Medressa at the Registan in Samarkand. Nearest Metro Station: Amir Timur Hiyoboni
Chorsu Bazaar is Tashkent’s main market. Set up mainly for local people. It has entire sections with people selling big hunks of meat, melons, saffron, spices, pomegranates, dried apricots, oranges, apples, honey, tools, household items, clothes, cheap Chinese goods and other stuff. It is very large and often is bustling with people. In the central part of the bazaar is the main winter building — a huge ornamented, monumental domed structure.
For a long time, bazaars have served as centers of urban life in Central Asia — a place where merchants and local residents gathered to buy or sell goods, discuss news, sit in a tea house and sample national dishes. Earlier there were street performances of strongmen and maskaraboz (clowns), as well as puppet shows and dances. Among the crafts people that were there were jewelers, weavers, braziers, gunsmiths and potters. Especially valued Shash ceramics — jugs, bowls, dishes, and specially crafted leather — green shagreen. There craftsmen and their products can still be found at Chorsu bazaar.
At the bazaar you can find a variety of rice, peas, beans, sweet melons, dried fruits, and a huge amount of spices. In the dairy area you can try “Uzbek mozzarella” — “kurt”. At “ovkat bozor” (food market) you can sample a variety of street food and prepared dishes. Among the popular souvenirs are chapans (colorful cotton robe), Uzbek skullcaps and national fabrics. Near the bazaar are some of Tashkent’s main tourist sights: Kukeldash Madrasah, Khast Imam complex and Jami Mosque. Address and Metro Station: Tashkent, St. Navoi 48, Chorsu metro station
Independence Square (Mustaqilik Maydoni)
Mustaqilik Maydoni (about one kilometer west of Amir Timur Maydoni) is a huge parade ground where May Day parades and the like were held in the Soviet era. A large brass globe with a map of Uzbekistan on it now stands on the place where the large Lenin statue stood in the Soviet era. The pink and green building is Tashkent’s first Soviet Administration building. It now houses a city library and some offices. The Senate, the president’s office and many ministry buildings are nearby.
Independence Square (Mustakillik Maidoni) has been the main square in the center of Tashkent for more than a century. Over the years the area has changed its name several times. After Kazakhstan became independent in 1991 it became a symbol of an independent state. Until 1865, the site of the square was occupied by the palace of the Kokand khans. Later the palace was destroyed and replaced with the residence of the Turkestan Governor-General of the Russian Empire. The square in front of the residence was later called Cathedral Square, then Red Square in 1930. After its reconstruction in 1974 it was renamed to Lenin Square. In September 1992, the Square was renamed to “Mustakillik Maydoni”, which means “Independence Square”.
Today, Mustakillik Maydoni is the central landmark of modern Tashkent. Folk festivals and national holidays are celebrated here. There are the fountains and green alleys. The entrance to Mustakillik Square is decorated with the Ezgulik Arch (“Good and Noble Aspirations”), over which storks rise above. Light and elegant design is based on 16 columns of white marble, the length of this architectural ensemble is 150 meters. In the center of the square stands the monument of Independence and Humanism, which is a globe with the outlines of state borders, which symbolizes the recognition of Uzbekistan in the world community.
In 2006, a sculpture of a woman with a baby in her arms, symbolizing the Motherland, was installed in front of the monument of Independence. The sculpture is a symbol of the motherland, life and wisdom, glory and honor. There is also a memorial on the square dedicated to those who gave their lives in World War II. Their names are written in gold letters in the “Book of Memory”, which is located here. The memorial also features the figure of the Grieving Mother bowed at the eternal fire. Nearest Metro Station: Mustakillik Maydoni metro station.
Khast Imam Square and the Religious Buildings There
Khast Imom Square (two kilometers north of the Circus) is one of Uzbekistan's most important religious centers. Located around it are the Barak Khan Madrasah, the home of the Central Asian Muslim Religious Board and the Grand Mufti of Uzbekistan; Telyashayakh Mosque; a small library, housing of the world's oldest koran; the Imamam Islmaul al-Bukhair Islamic Institute and the Mausoleum of Abu Kaffal Shoshi, the burial place of a famous scholar.
Khast Imam (known by a host of names, including Hast Imom, Hazret Iman and Khazrati Imam) has been the spiritual heart of Tashkent for centuries. Remodeled in 2007, the huge but largely empty square lacks of trees and even benches and thus not a particularly inviting place to hang around, still its Sovietized religious sites are worth a look. Flanked by a pair of 50 meters-high minarets, the Hazrat Imam mosque fronts the square. Next-door is the administrative centre of the Mufti of Uzbekistan. The primary attraction on Khast Imam is in the center of the square: the small Muyi Mubarak Library and museum, which holds the oldest Quran in the world.
Across the square from the Hazrat Imam mosque stands the Barak Khan Madrasah. Nowadays souvenir shops occupy the student rooms of this 16th-century Medressa. To the side stands the Telyashayakh Mosque, Mosque, formerly Tashkent’s main place of worship. Built by Mirza Akhmed Kushbegi in 1856, the mosque has some carved pillars and painted ceilings. A short distance to to the north of the Barak Khan Madrasah are the small 16th-century mausoleum of Abu Bakr Mohammed Kaffal Shashi, the grave of a 10th-century local philosopher and poet of Islam that became a site of pilgrimage. Infertile women wipe their faces with dust from his tomb in the hope it bring them children. Next-door is the 19th-century Al-Bukhari Institute, one of the few Islamic centres allowed to operate during the Soviet period. It operates as a religious college today. Address and Metro Station: on Qorasaroy street, Chorsu or Gafur Gulom Metro Station: Hours Open: Muyie Mubarak library is 9:00a, to 12:00noon and 2:00 to 5:00pm -12 & 14-17 Monday through Friday and 10:00am to 3:00pm on Saturday. The entrance fee is 5000 sum. The Other sites are free to enter, usually morning until evening.
Muyi Mubarak Library: Home of World's Oldest Qur’an
The small Muyi Mubarak Library and museum holds the oldest Quran in the world. The Uthman Quran on display, it is said, is stained with blood of the third Caliph Uthman who was murdered while reading it in 655. The museum also contains other treasures: Muyi Mubarak means ‘the sacred hair’, a reference to a hair believed to have belonged to the Prophet Muhammad. Other manuscripts in the small library include an 8th-century deer skin manuscript from Katta Langar and a Quran written in Hebrew.
Ian MacWilliam of the BBC wrote: “It is a reminder of the role which Central Asia once played in Muslim history — a fact often overlooked after seven decades of Soviet-imposed atheism. The library where the Qur’an is kept is in an area of old Tashkent known as Hast-Imam, well off the beaten track for most visitors to this city. It lies down a series of dusty lanes, near the grave of a 10th century scholar, Kaffel-Shashi. The Mufti of Uzbekistan, the country's highest religious leader, has his offices there, in the courtyard of an old madrassa. [Source: Ian MacWilliam, BBC, January 5, 2006 */*]
“Just across the road stands a non-descript mosque and the equally unremarkable Mui-Mubarak, or "Sacred Hair", madrassa, which houses a rarely seen hair of the Muslim Prophet Muhammad, as well as one of Central Asia's most important collections of historical works. "There are approximately 20,000 books and 3000 manuscripts in this library," said Ikram Akhmedov, a young assistant in the mufti's office. "They deal with mediaeval history, astronomy and medicine. There are also commentaries on the Qur’an and books of law. But the oldest book here is the Othman Qur’an from the seventh century. " */*
World's Oldest Qur’an in Tashkent
The Uthman Quran on display in the Muyi Mubarak Library and Museu, it is said, is stained with blood of the third Caliph Uthman — a companion of and son-in-law of the Prophet Muhammad — who murdered while reading it in 655. Whether is truly the Qur’an of Uthman and whether is truly stained with his blood is a matter of debate. Research has revealed that book is very likely not the oldest Quran in the world, and it probably didn’t belong Uthman, let be in his hands when he was killed. What we can say for sure is that it is very old (8th century) and only a third of the original remains. The Quran was written in the Kuraish language (an early form of Arabic), in Kufic script on thick parchment.
Ian MacWilliam of the BBC wrote: “The Othman Qur’an was compiled in Medina by Othman, the third caliph or Muslim leader. Before him, the sacred verses which Muslims believe God gave to Muhammad were memorised, or written on pieces of wood or camel bone. To prevent disputes about which verses should be considered divinely inspired, Othman had this definitive version compiled. It was completed in the year 651, only 19 years after Muhammad's death. [Source: Ian MacWilliam, BBC, January 5, 2006 */*]
“This priceless Qur’an is kept in a special glass-fronted vault built into the wall of a tiny inner room. About one-third of the original survives - about 250 pages - a huge volume written in a bold Arabic script. "The Qur’an was written on deerskin," said Mr Akhmedov. "It was written in Hejaz in Saudi Arabia, so the script is Hejazi, similar to Kufic script. " It is said that Caliph Othman made five copies of the original Qur’an. A partial Qur’an now in the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul is said to be another of these original copies. Othman was murdered by a rebellious mob while he was reading his book. A dark stain on its pages is thought to be the caliph's blood. " */*
How the World's Oldest Qur’an Arrived in Tashkent
The Othman Qur’an, the world's oldest Qur’an, is one of five originals spread across the Islamic world from Qufa to Basra and Mecca to Tashkent. In the late 14th century, Tamerlane brought the Quran as a trophy from Kufa — where the Caliph Ali had brought it from Baghdad — to bring prestige to the Bibi Khanum mosque he built in Samarkand. General Kaufmann, tsarist conqueror of Central Asia, took the Qur’an to St Petersburg in 1868. Lenin sent it to Ufa in 1924 to placate unhappy Muslims there. From Urfa the sacred book it made its way to Tashkent in 1989. Again, whether all this true is a matter of debate.
Ian MacWilliam of the BBC wrote: “The story of how the Othman Qur’an came to Tashkent is a remarkable one. After Othman's death it is believed it was taken by Caliph Ali to Kufa, in modern Iraq. Seven hundred years later, when the Central Asian conqueror, Tamerlane, laid waste to the region, he found the Qur’an and took it home to grace his splendid capital, Samarkand. It stayed there for more than four centuries, until the Russians conquered Samarkand in the 1868. The Russian governor then sent the Othman Qur’an to St Petersburg where it was kept in the Imperial Library. [Source: Ian MacWilliam, BBC, January 5, 2006 */*]
“But after the Bolshevik revolution, Lenin was anxious to win over the Muslims of Russia and Central Asia. Initially he sent the Qur’an to Ufa in modern Bashkortostan. But finally, after repeated appeals from the Muslims of Tashkent, it was returned once more to Central Asia in 1924. It has remained in Tashkent ever since. */*
“Visiting dignitaries from the Muslim world often turn up to see the Othman Qur’an in the depths of old Tashkent, so it is odd that it is still kept in such an out of the way location. But the authoritarian Uzbek government has inherited a Soviet-era distrust of Islam, and still views much of its own Islamic history with suspicion. The mufti's official religious establishment is closely watched and takes care not to attract too much attention to itself. As a result, its greatest treasure, the world's oldest Qur’an, continues to sit quietly in the medieval quarter of old Tashkent. " */*
Hazrat Imam Complex
Hazrat Imam mosque stands at the front of the vast Khast Imam square. Flanked by a pair of 50 meter-high minarets, it the largest place of worship in Tashkent, Opened in 2007 after being built in a record four months time, it displays the government’s view of what Islam should ideally be like. The structure was expensive to build and sandalwood columns from India, green marble from Turkey and blue tiles from Iran. Next-door is the administrative centre of the Mufti of Uzbekistan. The primary attraction on Khast Imam is in the center of the square: the small Muyi Mubarak Library and museum, which holds the oldest Quran in the world.
The modern name derives from an honorary name of the buried scholar here, Imam al-Qaffal ash-Shashi — Khazrati (Khasti) Imam. This place was considered sacred among the townspeople, and before the mosque was constructed was the site of a cemetery, and other buildings. In the recent past, the complex was “hidden” among many houses and buildings.
In 2007, on behalf of and led by the President of Uzbekistan Islam Karimov on the basis of the resolution signed by him (20 February 2007), the complex was “completely restored and appearance of additional facilities was subjected to appearance of monuments were partially restored and the lost ones replaced by new ones. ” Nearest Metro Station: Gafur Gulam is about one kilometer to the south.
Courage Monument recognizes those who suffered as a result of the great 1966 Tashkent Earthquake. Fifteen to 200 people were killed, 1,000 were injured, and about 300,000 were left homeless. Around 28,000 buildings were destroyed, including 200 hospitals and clinics, and 180 schools. The Old Quarter of Tashkent was particularly hard hit. Thousands of the ancient, one-story adobe dwellings were flattened. Additional damage was sustained from the hundreds of aftershocks which followed.
Over 80 percent of the city was destroyed, including over half of the old city. Most of the traditional adobe housing in more densely populated central areas were destroyed. The majority of the most significant buildings in Tashkent were destroyed; this included 600-year-old mosques. Most of these buildings predated the Russian Revolution of 1917. While the official death toll was 15 people this figure may be an underestimate due to Soviet secrecy and other sources estimated death tolls ranging from 200 people to 5,000 people. Over 20 percent more women than men were killed. +
Following the disaster, most of the historic parts of Tashkent that had been destroyed were rebuilt, modeled on Soviet architectural styles. The builders and other people from of all the republics of the former USSR took an active part in helping Tashkent recovey. Within a few months after the earthquake, new apartments welcomed their first new residents. In several years, the destroyed buildings in the city center were rebuilt.
In memory of those events, a memorial complex “Courage” was erected, with particular gratitude expressed towards the people who helped restore the city. The monument consists of a black cube and a bronze sculpture. On one side of the cube, is carved the date: April 26, 1966, and on the other arrows indicating the time — 5 hours and 24 minutes. The cube splits a crack — as a symbol of the earth’s crust — and continues to the podium, on which stands a sculpture depicting a woman with a baby in her arms and a man covering their breasts with natural disasters. Around the monument are embossed compositions, telling about the restoration of the city. Address: Mustakillik Avenue Nearest Metro Station: Minor Metro Station is about one kilometer to the northeast and Mustakillis Maydoni Metro Station is about one kilometer to the south.
Mosques in Tashkent
Islom Ota Mosque features a main dome (22. 1 meters), a large minaret (36. 65 meters) and four small minarets (10. 82 meters). The ceilings and walls of the mosque are painted with suras from the Holy Koran. After it reconstructed after the Soviet era, it is said, taking into consideration the suggestions and wishes of the general public, the mosque was renamed after the first President of Uzbekistan Islam Karimov. The building is equipped for people with disabilities and the latest air purification system and air conditioning. On the adjacent territory are places for recreation. The mosque has a library where new books, unique manuscripts and rare editions are available. Location: a few kilometers from the international airport. Best reached by taxi.
Minor Mosque opened in 2016 on the Anhor canal embankment, which was given a major overhaul around the same time, Designed for more than 2,400 people, the mosque is one of the largest spiritual centers in Tashkent. It in a traditional Asian and Uzbek style, with two minarets and a colored dome. Its inner part is framed in with carving, and the mihrab (a niche indicating the direction of the Kaaba in Mecca) is decorated not only with sayings from the Koran, but also with Hadith (sayings of the Prophet Muhammad). There are special ablution rooms that are equipped with modern amenities. Address and Nearest Metro Station: Kichik Halqa yoli street, Bodomzor Metro Station
Khoja Ahrar Wali Mosque is the main building in the Registan ensemble in of Tashkent’s Chorsu Square. Also known as Jami Mosque, the foundation of the mosque was laid in the 9th century. Ubaidulla Akhrar — the great master of Sufism and descendant of Prophet Muhammad — ordered the construction of the mosque and madrasah in the ancient Tashkent Mahalla Gulbazar. The first building of the Tashkent Jima mosque was built in 1451 under the patronage of Sheikh Ubaydulla Khoja Ahrar (1404-1490). Inside the mosque were vaulted galleries with cells around a long courtyard and tahoratkhona, where Muslims perform ablutions before prayer. In 1868, the mosque was significantly damaged by an earthquake. Twenty years later, in 1888, it was restored with funds from Russian emperor Alexander III from the military contribution of the Emir of Bukhara. After it was called the Royal Mosque. In 2003, the mosque was rebuilt in the same place using modern construction and finishing methods. Address and Nearest Metro Station: St. Navoi, Chorsu Metro Station
Madrasahs and Mausoleums in Tashkent
Kukeldash Madrasah (Chorsu Metro Station) is sort of modest, miniature and new version of the monuments in Samarkand and Bukhara. The original building was built in 1587-1591 with patronage from the famous statesman Kul-baba Kukeldash (died 1597). Over the centuries it has been repaired and rebuilt several times. The biggest repair was carried out when Tashkent was a part of the Kokand Khanate under the governor Madali-khan (1822-1842). In the 1930s, under the Soviets, the madrasah was turned into storage area, then used as office premises by various institutions. In 1990 the Madrasah handed over to the Spiritual Board of Muslims and after more repairs it became a madrasah again. A significant part of the original and even the 19th century decorations and inscriptions have been lost. Nearest Metro Station: Chorsu Metro Station
Barak-khan Madrasah (near the Hazrati Imam Complex) was built by the order of governor Barak-khan (1529-1563) of Tashkent from Shaybanid dynasty (1500-1606). Bukhara and Samarkand masters participated in its construction. The madrasah was restored in 1997 and 2007. Nearest Metro Station: Gafur Gulam is about one kilometer to the south.
Yunus Khan Mausoleum Yunus Khan Mausoleum (across from the Navoi Literary Museum) features three 15th century mausoleums that were restored in the 19th century. The nearest belongs to the grandfather of the Mogul Emperor Babur. There are many modern building that suffocate the mausoleums.
Mausoleum of Al-qaffal Al-shashi is formed around the grave of the famous theologian, poet, linguist and scholar of hadiths and Muslim jurisprudence (fiqh) Ali, Abu Bakr al-Qaffal al-Shashi (904-976). He is particularly famous as promoter the Shafi’i law — one of the Sunni schools of thought. The modern mausoleum (in place of the destroyed old one) was built after the 14th century. However, it has been repeatedly repaired. The remains of a dedicatory inscription about the repairs of the 16th century were brought down and replaced by inscriptions from Koran and Persian poetry verses written in Uzbek.
Suzuk Ota Architectural Complex in Tashkent honors Sheikh Suzuk Ota Mustafoqul, a famed Muslim mystic who reportedly performed amazing miracles. In 1392, Amir Timur (Timur Lane) commissioned the construction of the mosque and madrasah, as well as mausoleum honoring Suzuk Ota. In 2019 the mosque and the mausoleum was reconstructed, and the surrounding eight hectares of area was landscaped by the order of Shavkat Mirziyoyev, the President of Uzbekistan.
Museums, Libraries and Galleries in Tashkent
Tashkent is home to 20 museums. The Fine Arts Museum has a fine collection of art include some old Sogdian murals, Zoroastrian artifacts and royal furnishings. It has some fine wall hangings and clothes from Central Asian cultures. The Museum of Applied Art is a crafts museum with examples of traditional crafts from Samarkand, Bukhara, Tashkent and other places. Particularly interesting are the musical instruments, textiles jewelry and carved wood objects.
The History Museum of the People of Uzbekistan is Tashkent's largest museum. It contains 8,000 exhibits and touches on the all important historical periods. The Museum of the History of the Timurids, formerly known as the Amir Timur Museum is a relatively new museum house in a building with a blue ribbed dome. It contains a variety of things relating to Tamerlane and the Timurids. Other museums include the Mukkarram Tuzunbayeva Museum, the Navoi Literary Museum, Geology Museum, Railway Museum, Central Exhibition Hall, the National Nature Museum, the Sergey Yesenin Literary Museum, the Central Museum of the Armed Forces and the Museum of Olympic Glory and the Museum of Ancient Oriental Manuscripts. There are small, specialized museums and several small, private art galleries that are gathering places for Tashkent’s artistic and intellectual communities. The Archduke Romanov's home, which served as home of the Governor of Turkestan in the 1890s, has been fully restored and is now used as a reception hall by the Foreign Ministry.
Tashkent is home to Uzbekistan’s largest library, the Alisher Navoi State Public Library, which serves as the national library and holds over 10 million items. Also in Tashkent are the Central State Archive of Uzbekistan, the Republic Library for Science and Technology (two million volumes), the Foundation Library of the Uzbek Academy of Sciences (1. 5 million), the Pedagogical Institute (808,000), Tashkent State University (2. 46 million), and the Polytechnic Institute (808,000).
State Museum of History of Uzbekistan
State Museum of History of Uzbekistan (across the street from Independence Square) is Tashkent's largest museum. It contains 8,000 exhibits and touches on the all important historical periods from the Stone Age to the present day. The museum consists of four floors. On the first floor, there are administration offices, a cinema, a conference hall for 50 persons, an introductory hall which has the art galleries for holding exhibitions on both sides, with of them earmarked for children. .
On the upper floors of the museum the exhibits introduce Uzbekistan’s earliest human history. According to the exhibits there is evidence of hominids in Uzbekistan as far back as 1. 5 million years ago. While working on the excavation of ancient monuments, archaeologists uncovered more than 90 caves, the most famous of them is the Selengur’s cave, discovered by scientists in 1985,. In Teshiktash, they found the remains of an Neanderthal boy dated to around 40,000 years ago. Ancient tools, utensils, copper mirrors, cosmetics, jewelry, coins, and other artifacts are on display. One prized possession is a world famous stone sculpture of Buddha with two monks, called “Triad”, found in 1969 in the town of Fayaztepa. It is evidence of how far west Buddhism reach in it early years
Items related to the Timurid era illustrate the extraordinary flowering of medieval civilization, science, poetry, architecture, crafts, portrait miniatures and culture during that time. This period is brought to life with colorful mural, made by the Uzbek artist Alisher Alimkulova in 2003. The hall on the third floor presents the history of the three main khanates in Uzbekistan. The forth floor id devoted to people of the 19th and 20th centuries, featuring old magazines, newspapers of jadids, first theatrical posters, scientific and popular books, written records, photographs, postcards, and posters.
Uzbekistan's rich collection of Central Asian antiquities, jewelry, sculpture, painting, ceramics, bronze casting, glass production and, funeral cult items was put into storage after independence in 1991 and placed in the Uzbekistan Historical Museum, housed in the former Lenin Museum, a lattice-covered modernist building. It also has a rich collection of archival materials, manuscripts, historical documents, religious items (ossuary, a copy of the Avesta, etc.), ethnographic material. and photos that reflect the most important stages in the history of the Uzbek people. Address: avenue Rashidov, 3, across the street from Independence Square Tel: (+99871) 239 17 78. Nearest Metro Station: Mustakillik Maydoni metro station.
Amir Timur Museum
The Museum of the History of the Timurids (just north of the Amir Timur Square and statue), formerly known as the Amir Timur Museum is a relatively new museum housed in a building with a blue ribbed dome. It contains a variety of things relating to Timur (Tamerlane, 1336-1405) and the Timurids. The building has three floors: on the first is office space and on the second and third are expositions for of museum. In the center of the main hall there is a copy of the famous Muslim holy book — the Koran Osman.
One of the highlights of the museum is a large mural in the style of miniatures titled “The Great Timur — the great creator,” made by a group of Uzbek artists in 1996. The picture reflects the life of Tamerlane from his birth to his death. It shows a shooting star, symbolizing the translation of his name “Amir Timur” as “born under a lucky star. ” In the second part of the mural there is a creative work of the great ruler, majestic buildings: Ak-Saray Palace in Shakhrisyabs and Bibi Khanum in Samarkand. And third, the final part of a panel — is the last stage in the life of Tamerlane, his tomb — the
The exhibits of the museum are of great historical value. There are jewelry products, arms, clothing commanders and ordinary soldiers, musical instruments, astronomical instruments of Ulugbek and many other cultural treasures dating back to the Timurid era. There are also archaeological, ethnographic and numismatic materials, ornaments, objects related to Amir Timur and the Silk Road. Here you can see valuable historical documents, such as correspondence of Tamerlane and his descendants with European monarchs, skilled miniature copies of paintings of Amir Timur, written by European artists of the time. The originals of these paintings are now in the National Library of France.
The exhibits are organized into the following themes: “The culture and history of writing in Uzbekistan”, “fortified town SHOXRUX”, “Our heritage abroad”, “Amir Timur Clavijo-Samarkand”, “Scenes from the life of Amir Timur”, “Amir Timur — Eyes of Artists “,” The era of Amir Timur in terms of academics and writers. ” There over 3,000 artifacts, divided into collections of archeology, architectural decoration, archaeological metal, stone, glass, ethnography, arms, manuscripts and miniatures. In the are weapons display you can see chain mail, helmets, maces, axes, and different arrowheads. In the exhibits of metal objects you see a bronze jug with epigraphy from the Timurids period, gold, silver and bronze ware, household items, and jewelry. There are very valuable silver and copper coins, with the emblem of Tamerlane and struck the names of the representatives of Timurid dynasty.
These are books, booklets, various gifts, catalogs, souvenirs, items of Gur-Emir, models of architectural monuments, such as the Bibi Khanum, Ak-Saray Palace, the Gur-e Amir, Ulugbek and more. A special place in the museum holds items associated with the development of science, culture and the establishment of diplomatic relations. It is medieval manuscripts, photocopies of letters, treatises, published about Tamerlane and his era as the layout of the celestial globe of Ulugbek. Address: 700000, Amir Timur street, 1 Tel: (+99871) 232-07-66, 232-02-13, 232-02-12 Fax: (+99871) 232-07-68, 232-02-13, 232-02-12. Nearest Metro Station: Mustakillik maydoni
Museum of Remembrance of Victims of the Repressions
Museum of Remembrance of Victims of the Repressions (near the Tashkent TV Tower) is the only one of its kind in the former Soviet Union. It presents a lot of material connected with the repressions and persecution of the people of Uzbekistan and includes suppression of the national liberation movements by the Tsarist Russia, later by the Soviet regime, the destruction of the most active layer of the population and intellectuals under the auspices of combating Basmachis (the rich) and so called counterrevolutionary movement, forcibly evicted from the country and Stalinist repression.
There are exhibitions on uprisings that took place in the region, the fall of the Kokand Autonomy in February 1918, the Jadid movement, ethnic cleansings, search for internal enemies, the Gulag camps and the so-called “cotton case” of 1980. There are sections devoted to intellectuals in Central Asia, which have made a major emphasis on education, enlightenment and awareness, some of which were in favor of independence of Turkestan from Russian.
There is memorial dedicated to all those who lost their lives and suffered as a result of repression under Russia and the Soviet Union. An effort is made to educate people, especially the younger generation, so that similar actions do not happen in the future. There is a new park planted with young arborvitae shaped like obelisks to memorialize memory of suffering of the of Tashkent. Location: Amir Timur St., opposite Tashkent TV Tower. Nearest Metro Stations: About 700 meters from Bodomzer Metro Sation and 500 meters from Habin Abdullayez Metro Sation)
Museum of Arts of Uzbekistan
The Museum of Arts of Uzbekistan is the largest state art museum in Uzbekistan. Its permanent collection contains more than several thousands works, divided among four curatorial departments and include some old Sogdian murals, Zoroastrian artifacts, royal furnishings, fine wall hangings and clothes from Central Asian cultures.
The National Museum of Art has a representative selection of Russian, Soviet, European, and Uzbek paintings and other objects from the 17th century to the present. The museum occasionally hosts temporary exhibits from other countries. It has a small but interesting consignment shops which sell Central Asian and Russian antiques, carpets, jewelry, and contemporary arts and crafts. Signs at the shop warn shoppers that it is illegal to take anything out of the country made before 1947.
The Museum of Fine Arts is located in the former building of the State Bank, built in 1912 in a European style and designed by Russian architects Sakovich and Margolis. The upper floor of the passage was occupied by a branch of the Azov-Don Bank, as well as the company office of the Russian industrialist and philanthropist Savva Morozov. Since 1982, a branch of the Bukhara State Architecture and Art Museum-Reserve — the Museum of Fine Arts — has been located in this building.
The formation of the collection of fine art objects in the Museum-Reserve began in 1932. Most of the pieces in the museum date to the Republican art exhibitions in the period from 1932 to 1965. Among the unique are paintings by PP. Benkova, V. Karakhana, meters. I. Kurzina, R. Akhmedova, U. Taksinbaeva, A. Abdullaeva. There are works by the famous Bukhara artists, painters, sculptors, graphic artists N. Hafizov, H. Babayev, M. Sadykov, A. Barnoyev, Norhurozov, B. Salomov, Z. Saidzhanov, N. Babayev as well as miniatures by the national artist of Uzbekistan Sadriddin Pochchaev. Address and Metro Station: Bukhara, St. Naqshbandi, 41 The nearest metro station is Ming Oriq/Oybek (where the green and blue lines meet). Tel: 8 (365) 224-58-53, 224-49-48 Website: Website: bukhara-museum. uz
State Museum of Fine Arts of Uzbekistan
State Museum of Fine Arts of Uzbekistan is an interesting museum with fine collections of ancient and early medieval art of Uzbekistan, architectural decoration, embroidery, carpets, fabrics, copper products, gold embroidery and jewelry and more. On person posted in Trip Advisor: “This collection is housed in an interesting modern building. It covers a wide variety of mediums including textiles, woodworking, sculpture, and paintings. It is and interesting set of Uzbek and Russian artists. ”
The Art of the East section contains works of art from China, India, Japan, South Korea and Iran. It exhibits a collection of bronze, porcelain, ivory, wood carvings, musical instruments, carpets, celadon, sculpture in stone and much more. The museum has a rich collection of works of Russian art 15th-20th centuries: a collection of icons, paintings of the 18th century (I. Nikitin, F. Roars, D. Levitzky, V. Borovikovsky and others).
Paintings of the 19th century include works by A. Orlovskogo, O. Kiprensky, L. Plahova, Perov, G. Myasoedova, N. Kramskogo, N. Ge, A. Kuindzhi, Shishkin, Levitan, A. Savrasov, and Aivazovsky, Repin and others. There are also works by late 19th - early 20th century Russian Avant-Garde artists: A. Benoit, B. Kustodiev, V. Serov, K. Korovin, A. Lentulov, R. Falk, V. Kandinsky and Kazimir Malevich. Western European art in the museum is presented by fine art of Italy, Spain, Germany, the Netherlands, Flanders, Holland, France and England. Address and Metro Station : St. Movarounnahr, 16. The nearest Metro Station is Puskin Metro Station. Tel: (+99871) 236 74 36, 236 34 44 Fax: (+998 71) 236 77 40 Website: fineartmuzeum. uz Hours Open: from 10:00 to 5:00pm
Museum оf Applied Art оf Uzbekistan
The Museum of Applied Art is a crafts museum with examples of traditional crafts from Samarkand, Bukhara, Tashkent and other places. Particularly interesting are the musical instruments, textiles jewelry and carved wood objects. Housed partly in a restored 19th-century trader's mansion, it has a permanent exhibit of the traditional arts and contemporary glass and ceramic products of Uzbekistan.
During World War I the building with the museum lodged Austrian officers who were the prisoners of war. In the twenties of the 20th century after the Russian revolution until the mid-thirties the building housed an orphanage. In 1927 the 1st Exhibition of samples of the best works of the Uzbek masters was held in Tashkent. Later this developed into the permanent “Exhibition of the National Economy of Uzbekistan” which provided the foundation for the museum’s collection. Year by year products of past centuries were acquired such as handmade embroidery, skullcaps, jewelry, carpets and other samples of folk arts.
Currently the museum contains art and crafts treasures created by craftsmen mainly from the first half of the 19th century up to present. The main exhibits are divided into three groups: 1) works of applied art created according to ancient traditions and related to certain schools; 2) works of art enriched by artistic ornaments dating from the second half of the twentieth century based on the traditional methods of folk artists; and 3) works of contemporary art, decorated with colorful ornaments on the basis of the formation of the contemporary arts.
The museum has a small but interesting consignment shops which sell Central Asian and Russian antiques, carpets, jewelry, and contemporary arts and crafts. Signs at the shop warn shoppers that it is illegal to take anything out of the country made before 1947. Location and Metro Station: 15, Rakatboshi St., The nearest Metro Station is Oybek Station. Tel: (+998 71) 256 39 43 Fax: (+998 71) 256 40 42 Website: artmuseum. uz, muzeyart. uz
State Museum of Nature
State Museum of Nature is Tashkent and Uzbekistan’s natural history museum. It has about 400,000 items, of which about 300 000 are insects; 11,000 are herbarium sheets and the rest are zoological (vertebrates) and geological materials. The museum is divided into four departments: 1) Department of fauna and flora; 2) Department of Geology and Geography; 3) Scientific and Educational Department; and 4) Stock Department.
Among the exhibits the birds of prey attracted special attention. Some are frozen in flight with their wings spread and holding their victims in their clutches. There are fossils of mammoths and a camp layout of prehistoric man. In thick-walled glass containers filled with formaldehyde you can see embryos of mammals including humans, mutant animals are surprising and pathetic defects such as a two-headed calf and a lamb, and a one-eyed lamb. There many insects, butterflies, and birds as well as animals such as gophers, markhor (mountains goats), foxes, jackals, wolves, jungle cat and many others. Among the stuffed endangered animals and birds are the Houbara Bustard and Balaba falcon.
There are exhibitions devoted to rich mineral resources, flora and fauna of Uzbekistan, Karakul breeding and the Kyzyl-Kum desert and its wildlife are amazing as well as artistically made dioramas of an oasis, agricultural fields and cotton fields. In addition to displays related o Central Asian topic, there are also more generally exhibitions on the history of the planet’s geological changes and the development of life on Earth. Thanks to them visitors can see for example, the structure of the solar system, dinosaur fights and the scene of early men hunting a mammoth.
In 2010 the museum moved to a new building located at the Institute of Zoology of the Academy of Sciences of the Uzbekistan. Location and Metro Station: 1, Niyazov St., Almazar district, Landmark: Turin Polytechnic University. The nearest Metro Station is Beruni. Tel: (+998 71) 246 95 31 Hours Open: : 10:00am - 5:00pm
Off-Beat Museums in Tashkent
Museum of Public Health is devoted to the history of medicine, hygiene and the prevention of the spread of infectious diseases. At the entrance is a monument to Abu Ali Ibn Sina (Avicenna), the great Muslim scholar and physician. The museum walls are decorated with reproductions of Oriental miniatures depicting the history of medicine in Uzbekistan and include “Lessons of Ibn Sina”, and an Oriental Bath — Hammam. One of the most interesting exhibits is a glass man, a mannequin of a human anatomical structure brought Dresden. On the model you can turn on a light to illuminate the internal organs. Location: 30 Istiqlol St. Mirabad, About 500 meters from the railway station and one kilometers from the Oybek and Amir Timur Hiyoboni Metro stations. Tel. : (+998 71) 233 40 53, 233 42 78, 233 41 53
Pumpkin Museum has a collection of paintings, dolls and other crafts in the national style, made from different varieties of decorative pumpkins. There are more than 1000 unusual exhibits. Each product is unique since each pumpkin has a unique shape. Visitors to the museum can not only admire the exhibition of products, but also take part in classes on making pumpkin art. Also in the museum are puppet shows with live accompaniment. The museum was founded in the early 2000s. There are also exhibitions on how pumpkins are grown. You can see different varieties or pumpkins and learn about the process of manufacturing products. Those who so desire can purchase pumpkin products and paintings. Address: Tashkent, St. Sultonia 62 Contacts: (998 94) 689-01-32, (998 71) 261-47-43. Free admission
Tashkent Polytechnic Museum is a hands on two-floor museum created at the initiative of JSC UzAvtosanoa and opened in 2015. On the ground floor, you can learn about the history of the global automotive industry and the development of the domestic automotive industry. Here are the expositions of “retro” and “modern” cars, agricultural machinery and machines of domestic production. On the second floor of the museum there is an interactive section where you can learn more about engineering, physics, astronomy and mathematics. Each exhibit is a device that clearly demonstrates a particular law of physics. Also here you can visit the illusion room and the mirror labyrinth, see the dancing robots and become a participant of the most interesting experiences. Address: Tashkent, St. Amir Timur 13, landmark-right side of the building of JSC “Uzavtosanoat” Tel: (99871) 2323430 Website: http://politomuseum. uz
Museum of Olympic Glory covers is 2121 square meters and exhibits a large number of medals, cups, commemorative coins, signs, torches, souvenirs, stamps, art cloths, sports equipment and clothing, printed materials related to the history of the Olympic and Asian Games, world and continent championships and other prestigious international competitions.
The main purpose of the museum is to provide planning and conducting exhibitions depicting the highest achievements of our athletes in the Olympics and international competitions.
Tashkent Museum оf Railway Equipment contains 13 steam engines, 18 locomotives, three electric locomotives, various wagons and the interesting samples of repair and construction equipment used in the Soviet railway industry. The oldest railway engine is an OV engine 1534 (“The Lamb”) made in 1914. It had 700 horsepower and reached a top speed of 55 km/h. The most powerful engine presented in the museum, the P 36 (“Victory”), with 3000 horsepowers. There are also things like a 19th century Morse-code telegraph and electric token system DS Treger device.
Here you can also familiarize yourself with the device and the principle of the conventional engine. It has three components — a tender, where coal and water are placed, operator’s cabin where the furnace and boiler are located. The energy of steam formed moved the engine and it literally “ran” forward on the rails. 18 tons of coal and 27 tons of water loaded Into the tender which sufficed only on 100 kilometers. Therefore successfully to continue a way on each piece of 100 kilometers there were water towers supplying engines with water. There a sample of such tower stands near the museum and such ones still remain in Dzhizak, Samarkand and Bukhara. Today, the museum operates narrow gauge Children’s Railway. Location and Metro Station: Turkistan st, 6, Tashkent, 100060, Uzbekistan. The nearest Metro station is Tashkent station. .
Parks and Gardens in Tashkent
Tashkent Botanical Garden (near the Tashkent Zoo) was established in 1943 as part of the Institute of the Gene Pool of Flora and Fauna of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan. One of the largest of its kind in Central Asia, it covers an area of 68 hectares is divided into five areas named after the region whose of flora it contains: 1) East Asian, 2) Indochinese, 3) Circumorial (Crimea, Caucasus, Europe), 4) North American and 5) Central Asian. The Garden’s collection of 6,000 plants includes giant cypresses, white oak, blue ash, evergreen magnolia, sugar maple and tulip trees. In the nursery garden you can learn more about medical plants. You can also find more than 30 nests of migratory and wintering species of birds, some of which are not typical for the rest of Tashkent. Address: St. Bogishamol, 232, Near the Tashkent Zoo. Best reached by taxi as it is a few kilometers from the nearest Metro station.
Gafur Gulyam Park is one of the greenest places in a green city. Occupying an area of 23 acres, it embraces majestic plane trees, between which are comfortably arranged thin birches and pines. Powerful chestnut trees alternate with huge oak trees surrounding a beautiful arborvitae and juniper. The unique smell of lime trees is present in all areas of the Park. There are two small two lakes and a Ferris Wheel. Visitors to the park relax, boating in the lakes, playing chess or backgammon or just sitting on the bench reading a book in the shade of trees. For children there is a small zoo with a llama, red fox, wild jackal and children’s favorites — playful monkey. Children under seven years old can visit the mini zoo for free. Entrance to the Park is free. Fees are charged for some of the attractions, rides and rentals. Nearest Metro Station: Mirzo Ulugbek
Central Ecopark is the first park in the bio-tech style. The park is divided into three zones: 1) Play area with interesting installations: a sculpture of a spider made of metal pipes, a slide with steps made of plastic bottles, a green maze of plants, swings, where instead of the usual seats used car tires. 2) Creative area where children and adults can learn the basics of fine and decorative arts. In the center of the Park there is a house of masters with 2 studios: fine arts and ceramics. The ceiling of the veranda is decorated in the form of a chessboard with inverted chess pieces. 3) A special area for skateboarders, rollers and extreme cyclists. For outdoor activities, a swimming fun boxes, quarter, accelerating slide and rails. There are no rides in the park; the main goal is recreation with nature. In the park you can admire the lake or enjoy roller-skating, cycling, jogging or just sit on a variety of benches along the paths until late in the evening. Thanks to the modern lighting system, children can play in the spacious fenced playground with wooden buildings. Address: C-1, crossing Hamid Alimzhan street and Uzbekistan Ovozi street. Nearest Metro Station: Amir Timur Hiyoboni is about one kilometer to the west.
Japanese Garden opened in 2001, which second phase opening in 2002. The garden, with a total area of 3. 6 hectares, is one of the favorite places of Tashkent residents and the venue for receptions for guests of major international forums (EBRD, SCO, etc.).
Amusement Parks and Zoo in Tashkent
Tashkent Central Park Named after Mirzo Ulugbek, covers an area of 13,000 hectares and is divided into two zones: active and quiet zones. The active area includes 26 rides and playground of 3 500 square meters. In the park are three classic roller coaster, the Drop’n Tower attraction, Galleon ship and a French carousel. On the left side of the entrance is a quiet area, benches, wide paths, and on the right side — a children’s maze of hedges. The parking area is divided in two zones for cars and for bicycles. Bicycles, skateboards and roller skates are not allowed in the Central Park. The Park has 200 security cameras and 24-hour security. Location and Metro Station: The nearest Metro station is Alisher Navoi station. .
Lokomotiv Amusement Park is a family-oriented amusement park that covers an area of eight hectares, which is divided into five zones: 1) children’s area, with 13 rides and attractions for children up to 15 years old; 2) the family zone, with 12 attractions and rides for people from 10 years old or older; 3) the extreme zone, with a professional climbing wall, rope town and trampolines) ; 4) fountain square, an area around a fountain with summer terraces under the cafeteria; anf 5) the “Oriental Garden”, a garden with picturesque trees, ponds, terraces, pavilions, a canal, and a waterfall. The last area is oriented for wedding photo sessions. Popular attraction include a Ferris wheel, “Catalpult”, “Air Bike”, “Rope town”, “Climbing Wall”, “Shooting gallery” and “Laser maze”. The park has a convenient universal payment system and free parking. Address: Mirzo-Ulugbek district, Timur Malik street. Best reached by taxi as it is a few kilometers from the nearest Metro station.
Ashgabad Park opened in 2018 in part to honor a visit by Turkmenistan leader Gurbanguly Berdimukhamedov (Ashgabat is the capital of Turkmenistan) covers 12 hectares and is divided into two zones: 1) for entertainment and 2) for quiet rest and playing sports. Fountains and sculptures of Akhal-Teke horses, which are a symbol of Turkmenistan, are situated at the entrance to the park. There is an indoor entertainment pavilion and open air area with 60 amusement rides and gaming machines. There is also a huge Ferris wheel — the highest in Uzbekistan. The luxury cabins are equipped with air conditioning. Free Wi-Fi zone is available in the park. Near the entrance the parking lot for hundreds of places with a 20-meter escalator is built.
Tashkent Zoo (Near the Tashkent Botanical Garden) is the best zoo in Central Asia. It covers an area of 21. 5 hectares and is home to 373 species of animals, relatively humanely confined in open-air cages for animals, with large winter rooms, artificial ponds, fountains, waterfalls, water channels, a large pond with a beautiful bridge, as well as numerous places for recreation and animal sculptures in a cozy green area. Areas with the zoo are: “Aquarium”, “Terrarium”, “Primates”, “Parrots”, “Birds”, “Predatory”, “Waterfowl birds”, “Ungulates”, “Invertebrates”, “Small mammals”, “Vivarium”, “Nursery for breeding animals” and “Petting zoo”. Popular animals include an Asian elephant, a giraffe, Malay bear, langurs, gibbons, various types of cranes, ibis and parrots. Entrance fee, current prices and mode of operation can be found on the official website of the Tashkent Zoo. Address: Yunusabad district, Bogishamol 232-A. Best reached by taxi as it is a few kilometers from the nearest Metro station. website:
Image Sources: Wikimedia Commons
Text Sources: Uzbekistan Tourism website (National Uzbekistan Tourist Information Center, uzbekistan.travel/en), Uzbekistan government websites, UNESCO, Wikipedia, Lonely Planet guides, New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, National Geographic, The New Yorker, Bloomberg, Reuters, Associated Press, AFP, Japan News, Yomiuri Shimbun, Compton's Encyclopedia and various books and other publications.
Updated in August 2020